Sunday, October 9, 2016

Closing Time

After 5 years and 1,000,000 views, its time to close the door on Alternate History Weekly Update.

I feel bad about doing this, especially after my post celebrating my millionth view where I said I wasn't going anywhere, but I need to be honest with myself and you.

You see when I created Alternate History Weekly Update, one of the primary reasons was to help me write more by giving myself a deadline. More than five years later I can say with all sincerity that I was successful in that goal. I now write all the time for multiple sites and I have even been published. Mission accomplished.

That said, I've found my writing for The Update becoming increasingly stale and just not enjoyable anymore. I don't post many articles outside of my regular recurring series and I find even making those to be like a chore. On top of that, some of you may have noticed on social media that I have taken a short break from the Internet. Its nothing serious, but I certainly hit a wall and needed time to really think about what brings me joy in life.

Sadly this blog does not bring me joy. I will always be thankful for the opportunities it has brought me and the people I have met through it, but I need to break outside of the box it has put me in. Thus this will be the last post on The Update. I won't be taking down the blog because I want to keep it up as an archive of my writing and editing.

So what happens next for me? Well I am not going to disappear. I actually have created a new blog under The Alternate Historian banner. This will be the official site for news about and articles by me...but I will be posting on an irregular basis. My primary focus will now be my YouTube channel because I really do enjoy making videos and I want to become better at it. So if you haven't subscribed already, please do so. Or follow me on Facebook, Twitter (@alt_historian), Tumblr and DeviantArt, all of which are associated with The Alternate Historian. Plus I will still be writing for Amazing Stories, interviewing for SFFWorld and participating as a Sidewise Awards for Alternate History judge.

More importantly, I am hoping I will have more time to write fiction. I would love to publish more short stories or finally write that novel I always talk about. Because I will now have so much more free time, I might just get the chance.

Once again, thank you everyone for making Alternate History Weekly Update one of the premier sites for alternate history news and reviews. Its been a wonderful ride and I hope you will join me on the next stage of my journey.

12 comments:

  1. Looking forward to your videos Matt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jose. Also haven't talked to you in a while. I hope everything is going good with you.

      Delete
    2. Pity AHWU is ending, but it's been a great five years. Thank you for keeping the blog around for archive purposes. I'll finally catch up reading all the interviews and articles that I didn't have time to read when they were first published. All in all, thanks for everything. :-)

      Delete
  2. Sorry to see you saying farewell. But I will look forward to seeing your posts on The Alternate Historian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, I'm sorry to see that the blog has come to a close. I understand your reasons and wish you and your family the very best going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really sorry to see your blog close; I've enjoyed contributing to it and reading others' input.

    And thank you for all the support you've given this althist thriller writer - truly and deeply appreciated.

    But good luck in your new ventures. I've subscribed to the video channel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog…thanks for sharing…We Provide Best Packers And Movers Chennai List for Get Free Best Quotes, Compare Charges, Save Money And Time, Household Shifting Service...

    Packers And Movers Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. That is a very valid point you bring up. Thank you for sharing this very informative and well explained post with us
    12:33 PM World War 1 Summary

    ReplyDelete